29 July 2006

stitches

you keep me laughing all the time. i wonder about what i used to laugh about before you came into my life, because now i find myself often doubled over or biting my lip so i won't laugh at an inappropriate time. take for instance at the dinner table a few nights ago...you were rocking in your booster seat and i told you to stop so you wouldn't get hurt. i continued talking with daddy and you began rocking the booster again, and interrupted me saying, "mommy, i'm rocking the booster again...do i have to stand in the corner now?" i was completely caught off guard because not only were you tattling on yourself, but you were practically begging me to stand in the corner. i didn't want to punish you because of how much i anticipated your enjoyment of standing in the corner, but on the other hand i wanted to follow through with what i told you the consequences would be. i was trying desperately to keep a straight face, but couldn't help but burst out into laughter. you smiled and laughed, too, not really knowing exactly why. but after regaining my composure, i sent you to the corner and you almost seemed to prance away.

then later that same evening, we all sat together to pray before bedtime. you began your prayer, including blessing every person in our family and beyond, and then half way through the prayer you looked over at baby Grant and said, "Shhhh, Grant. No talking. I'm praying." Grant just continued to stare at you and bobble his three-month-old little head around and i just couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud. i looked over at your daddy, who was doing everything possible to keep his composure as well.

we love that you keep us in stitches, even when we want to teach you life lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment