07 November 2007

new baby excitement and anxiety

Well Madeline, you've already been through this once before and know what to somewhat expect when a new little baby arrives into the family. I just figured out why you've been so much more sensitive and attached to me these past two weeks, just about the same time we took the crib out to be set up in your room. You are so thrilled that this baby is coming and when people ask what the sex is you politely say, "We'll love it if it's a girl or a boy." And you were so sweet yesterday morning to tell Grant, "When the baby comes, I'll still love you AND I'll love the baby." How reassuring your words were, probably more comforting for you than anyone else. It makes me smile to know that you have been listening to our repetitive words and that although they may not make complete sense in your heart you are allowing them to penetrate your mind. You're quite uncertain about what your new position will be in the family once this little baby arrives. You asked me, "You're going to love the baby more than you love Grant and me?" I tried my best to explain that Jesus makes mommies' hearts to love all of their children, even though they are loved for their uniqueness. Daddy suggested that I set aside "special time" to spend with you at different times during the week, so that you would have my full attention and be assured of your place in my heart. I took his advice and boy was he right! Today we had "special time" together, coloring and crafting a Love Money Jar for Christmas, to pick whatever charity we want to donate to. You loved the idea that our money was going to go to other children who don't have the toys, clothes and warmth that we have. And then when we finished you drew me a picture with several lines on it to look like handwriting, explaining how much you love me because of our special time together. I only hope that you will never doubt throughout your life how much you truly mean to me. I keep thinking about how quickly the time has gone and yet, I can't even imagine you being a teenager or adult. No matter what changes may come in both of our lives, my love for you will only grow deeper and stronger; even when we don't agree and you decide to go your own way, I will always love you.

You are only 4 years old now, and this is a major life change for you. You don't realize how strong you are and how supportive you lend yourself to your brother in spite of your own doubts and uncertainties. I'm so proud of you and hope that my daily actions will convey just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment