14 September 2005

Mommy Lay With You?

Madeline sweetly asked me this question tonight as she prepared herself to go to sleep. She frequently asks this of my husband and myself almost every night. She and I frequently rest in her "big girl bed" until she falls asleep. But tonight was different. Usually I'm having to tell her to lie down on her pillow, close her eyes, no more talking till tomorrow, etc. And tonight she wanted to stay up longer, but only so that she could love on me. She started with kisses and hugs, and couldn't stop giving them. Then, she sat up and said, "Thank you...breakfast...mama." I said, "You're welcome for breakfast, Maddie!" Then she proceeded to thank me for her Maria's shirt, her apples and cheese, her sheets and everything else she could think of. Then she resumed her hugs and kisses...As I lay there I thought to myself, "I'm going to miss these moments someday, but I'm sure loving them right now." She then laid down next to me and said, "Mommy close eyes." When I opened them again, she was staring at me and I wondered what she was thinking about her mommy. I felt as though I could see her brain process my presence - she then closed her eyes and fell asleep. As I quietly got up from her little bed she opened her eyes once more and said, "Good-night, Mommy" and went back to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Boy, that story sure pulled me right in. I could see, hear, smell, and feel every moment.

    ReplyDelete