22 November 2006

book club - mommy time

A group of women meet at my house once a month to discuss a book that we're reading together. I'm enjoying the fact that I'm actually reading at least one book a month that is purely for my own enjoyment. So far we've read "Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini and "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. Both heavy subjects, but very enlightening and humbling, to say the least. The fact that my biggest concerns are how to handle both my children while they're screaming at the same time and how to get my house cleaned up in 5 minutes before my husband walks through the door so I can look like I had a productive day, brings me to a new level of appreciation for my life circumstances when I read these stories of other people's lives. Granted, they're fictional, but probably not too far from the truth of someone's life story.

I'm thinking about altering the book club a bit. It seems that the books we choose are either too boring, too heavy, already been read, etc. etc. and I don't want the club to die out. I'm going to suggest that each person read their own book(s) for the month and bring their recommendations to the group of what they enjoyed. I think we'd get through more books more quickly, and it would open up the variety of genres to read.

Something I'm still thinking about. But all in all, I love book club. I love interacting with adults so that I can return to my little ones with more energy. Maddie asked me why I was having my friends over for book club and I explained, "Because when Mommy has time with her friends, then it helps me not to be grouchy." She accepted that. She understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment