03 August 2008

first communion


We went to church with Nana and Poppy this morning. Madeline asked if she could stay with me in the adult service. Sure...just remember that this is not a talking time but a quiet, listening time.

Okay, Mom.

I didn't realize that it was going to be a time for communion. Madeline asked me what was going on. I explained that only people who have Jesus in their heart and are willing to ask forgiveness for their sins are able to take communion. Does Jesus live in your heart? I asked her and watched her little head nod up and down.

Do you have any sins you want to ask Jesus to forgive? I pursued.

She quickly shook her head no. Okay, well if you think of any, just let me know. I started to bow my head to pray. I feel a tap on my arm.

I need to ask Jesus to forgive me for my bad choices, she said, cupping her hand around her mouth in order to whisper quietly into my ear.

So we prayed together, asking Jesus to forgive both of us for the sins we have committed and to help us to be like Him.

We received the elements of communion, and as we finished drinking the juice, she looked up at me and asked, Is this blood?

I'm so glad she whispered. I smiled at her and reassured her it was only juice.

What a privilege to share in this holy tradition with my firstborn child.
What a privilege to lead her to our loving Savior for forgiveness and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment