17 February 2010

a good cry

Yesterday, I wrestled Evan down to give him a haircut.  I pulled out Nathan's clippers and forgot how much pain they seem to bring to my boys.  I think they get stuck and sometimes pull their hair.  That's when the screaming starts.  Haircuts for both boys end up being almost $40 a pop, so I thought I'd be a great money-saving-mom and do it myself.  What I didn't prepare myself for was how strong my 2-year-old is.  Wow.  He was all over the place and I was determined just to finish, hug him after it was all over and give him a few pieces of chocolate.  And no, I see nothing wrong with bribing my children with sweets.  Right in the middle of our wrestling match, Evan tries to push the clippers away and accidentally knocks the attachment off the clippers, sending the clippers up the side of his head, almost resembling a little lightning bolt strip of hair missing.  I sat there shocked - listening to my son scream, the clippers still going and staring at this horrible strip of hair missing from his head.  It was too much for my pregnancy hormones to handle.  I grabbed the phone and called Nathan at work and cried my eyeballs out for about 5 minutes.  Thankfully, he didn't laugh at me until much later in the day after he got home, when I was able to laugh at it.  He was trying to be so encouraging when he actually saw Evan's hair - "It looks really good.  You can hardly see it."  Even though he called Evan "Lightning McQueen" for the nice lightning strip on the side of his head.

Grant asked, "I thought you were going to cut my hair, Mom?"  Nope.  I'm going to splurge on haircuts from now on.  Mommy's hormones can't deal with wrestling matches and lightning bolt strips on the side of the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment