18 February 2010

hard to admit

I have a short temper.  I hate to admit this because it goes against my perfectionistic tendencies and it forces me to once again face one of my worst attributes.  But it is something that I am working on, only with the help of the Lord.

I've been reading Neil Anderson's book on anger and realizing that I have forgotten who I am in Christ.  I am no longer a slave to my sinful nature, I have been promised that I am a new creation in Christ.  I am under the authority and power of Christ.  But there is still a spiritual battle taking place for my soul.  This is where I have become discouraged and allowed myself to stop fighting.  I still slip up but I am experiencing a new freedom in my relationship with the Lord.  I will make mistakes, but I don't have to wallow in them.  I confess them, ask for His forgiveness, receive it, ask for forgiveness from those I've hurt and continue to walk in His Spirit - not my own strength.  It's been a very freeing process.  I still hurt when I allow my anger to get the best of me, and, in turn, to hurt those around me who I love so much.  But I see that it is much less than even a few months ago. 

But I didn't realize that Madeline has also seen a change in me too. 

Madeline: "Mom, you haven't cried in a long time."
Me: "I haven't?  Hmmm...when do I usually cry?"
Madeline:  "After you yell at me."
Me:  "Have I yelled at you?"
Madeline: "No...not for a long time."

That conversation was both difficult to swallow and encouraging at the same time.  It's hard to face our sin, but easier when looking back on it realizing that the Lord is helping us progress in His perfect time.

No comments:

Post a Comment