11 July 2005

"On Becoming Babywise" - Book Review


I read this book several weeks before I gave birth and continued skimming it after my daughter was born. Although there were things I didn't necessarily agree with or find useful in my brand new experience as a parent, here is what I did find helpful:

1. Establish a weekly date night with your spouse, so that you stay connected. My husband and I had never been consistent in going on a "date night" until after our daughter was born. She is almost two and we have rarely missed that time together. It's a blessing to have uninterrupted time together, to reflect, discuss important and just plain fun topics, and to be creative in where we spend our short time together (ie., Barnes & Noble, Starbuck's, Dinner out, Movies, a garden center, etc.). They don't sound all that exciting, but just getting out together is the most meaningful aspect of our time together.

2. Establish a routine, but learn to be flexible. This is something that was difficult at first because I didn't know how to have a routine and I felt that I was being too rigid - which I was, at first - but in time I was able to learn more about my daughter's time clock and work around it. Putting her on the sleep and feeding routine was helpful in allowing me to learn how to have down-time for myself, and to plan our outings better. However as she grows older, I find that the routine is a nice guideline that gives me cues about her moods, needs and behaviors.

This is what I found most helpful from this first book. There are some statements and practices that contradict my personality and parenting style, but I still found these two practices to be extremely helpful in my parenting style.

Any feedback on this particular book is welcome - positive and negative - just curious to know what your thoughts are.

3 comments:

  1. Um - how about the trash can? I would START at www.ezzo.info and then ask my questions at www.awareparent.net/smf/index.php - bad news all around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, although I don't agree with all the concepts presented, I think that many mothers will agree that having quality time with their mates and having a "flexible schedule" are only beneficial to parents and the family unit as a whole. I think with every book, we must take the good with the bad and only practice those things that are most applicable to our situation and most complimentary to our own comfort level and style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived by this book with my second child. I didn't use it with my first, but wish I had. Looking back comparitively between the two, the one that was on a consistent daily routine was the happiest by far(not to mention how much happier I was because I knew what he wanted at any given point). The technique is a sound one for the educated, perhaps not for those who aren't well read on digestion and sleeping patterns of infants. Do your homework before casting this one aside!

    ReplyDelete