25 July 2005

Hopeful Mommy

The last couple of weeks I've been rethinking my parenting style and approach. I've visited some different websites and even ordered some books I think might give me some more insight in raising this beautiful child. But why have I been so down about it? My husband reminded me that there is "no formula" for parenting and that each stage our daughter enters requires us to relook at our approach and make some adjustments. For example...Madeline has always gone to bed and has cried much. We attributed it to her sanguine personality of not wanting to miss any of the activity taking place while she was having to go to sleep. But in the last week, we bought her a "big girl bed" and she has been so proud to sleep in it. However, it was still new and part of her was not completely certain about this new arrangement. My husband laid next to her the first night to help her feel more at ease. Can you believe that for the last week we have laid with her until she falls asleep and she isn't waking up in the middle of the night any more? She goes to sleep much happier and seems to sleep more deeply and peacefully. I think that we've been experiencing much transition in our parenting - probably as much as our little toddler is experiencing in her life from a baby to a little girl with definite opinions. It's often hard to go through change, but I feel encouraged that we've been doing the best we can at each stop and transition. It doesn't mean we aren't making mistakes -but that we are really trying to meet our child where she is and find a balance with how we feel comfortable parenting her. Even though we're far from perfect, I know that we're giving her everything we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment