25 January 2006

A Cure for the "Terrible Twos"

I was explaining to my dad how Madeline has been having these meltdowns - totally and completely unpredictable, and quite frequent actually. He asked me, "Why do you think they call it the "terrible twos?", he laughed, as if that brought any consolation. In the last few weeks since that conversation, we've had more meltdowns and more making up together. It's been quite a ride. But yesterday Madeline woke up with a cold, and I knew she had no energy to do anything but veg in front of her favorite dvd movies. I suggested that we watch movies of baby Madeline (and decided to kill two birds with one stone by organizing these home videos at the same time). She gladly agreed and was glued the entire time we watched video of her talking, laughing, dancing, clapping and all her other cute antics as a pre-toddler. But what I least expected was my own treat - I felt more compassion toward her and all the hardship that comes with having a sick toddler at home. Watching her as a baby reminded me that she's still little and vulnerable, even though she is much larger and has the ability to talk back. But deep inside, she's still my little baby and it has made nursing her back to health so much more enjoyable.

Terrible twos?? Pull out those home videos of your baby and fall in love all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment