25 January 2006

Nana's Secret to Potty Training

A few weeks ago we visited my parents for my brother's birthday party. We all watched in horror as their 15 year old dog "Binky" relieved himself on their brand new, no more than a month old, carpet. My dad quickly grabbed him up and put him outside, while my mom scolded him with one hand and carpet cleaner in the other. Madeline just watched this scene with wide eyes and asked me what was wrong. I explained that Binky went "wee-wee" on the carpet and Nana made him sit in the naughty chair because he's only supposed to go wee-wee on the potty. With tongue-in-cheek I said, "When you're at Nana's house, no wee-wee on the carpet or Nana will make you sit in the naughty chair." Forgetting that this brilliant child is only at the ripe young age of 2, she looked up at me and said, "I go wee-wee in the potty" and insisted on going that instant. Even though it was hilarious at the moment, my mom helped give Maddie a boost in her potty training efforts. We've really allowed her to take the lead in the whole process. But since that night, she began telling us more regularly when she had to use the potty with only a few, rare accidents.

Thanks, Mom! I'll have to remember to bring Grant over when he needs a boost in potty training.

No comments:

Post a Comment