02 September 2008

first day jitters

For me, of course.

Today Madeline went back to preschool. We let her have a break after Evan was born. She had such a hard time going back to school, thinking that we were all having a party without her. Little did she know that Mommy was resting on the couch while Evan slept and Grant played. But we allowed her the option of staying home, as long as she went to Awana, so that she continued her play time with friends.

Last night we tucked her into bed and prayed for her first day. She asked us to pray that the kids would be kind, the teachers would be kind and that she would meet new friends. Once tucked in for the night she came back out asking for luvies. We prayed again, and I hugged her close to my heart, reassuring her with every second that I knew she was going to be just fine.

And she was.

With her new dress and pretty pink converse, my baby girl is not so babyish anymore. She even accessorized by choosing her own necklace, barrette and bracelet.



We walked hand-in-hand up to her new classroom and reminisced about one of our favorite books called First Day of School and how we were doing the same things we read about in the book...walking up together, getting ready to say our good-byes.

The teacher greeted us with a smile, and a sheet of stickers for no tears. She asked Madeline if she had any tears and she quickly shook her head with a resounding no! I still waited to see what might happen. Madeline turned around and hugged me - twice. And that was it.

I told her I'd be praying for her and looking for her new sticker at home, to place on her chart, to receive her first no-tears reward - a sparkling Sleeping Beauty ring! Bribes are wonderful...

4 comments:

  1. Almost got me to cry, but then I wouldn't have got my sticker. What a big day for you . . . and for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our little girl is growing up!! I'm so proud of you both! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet, amazing, beautiful, smart and funny little lady!
    what an exciting day! I'm so proud of her & glad you were able to rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our little sweetie!! Oma did tear-up. She is such a gift of joy and we are now sharing her with her preschool world. Our love and prayers will be with her too!!! Thank you for the darling blog. Enjoy those memories; they grow-up oh too quick.
    Lots of luvies to all,
    Oma and Pops

    ReplyDelete