11 July 2008

wow!

Nathan and I attended our first CHEA Conference today. It was wonderful. It was overwhelming. It was awe inspiring. I was amazed at the curriculum focused on instilling virtues and reviewing our Christian heritage, as well as our Christian brothers and sisters who have been missionaries before us, and the numerous ways these different homeschooling organizations work in different ways to do one thing: to educate our children at home to instill our Christian values. Not the current so-called Christian values of I call myself a Christian, I might even go to church, but I do whatever I want. I follow my own gospel. This was convicting as I talked with people who desire to LIVE out their faith in every aspect of their lives, homeschooling being no exception. It's only one tiny piece of the puzzle. But it is a wonderful piece. We're only going to commit to one year of light homeschooling - just getting a feel for it by doing some Preschool/Kindergarten assignments and exercises. We'll see how it goes. The public school system is not criticized at all. That's not the point. The point is that we have an opportunity to provide a different education, one that is completely compatible with the Bible and the difficult lives Christ has called us to.

I feel challenged to go much deeper in my faith and life as a follower of Christ. I want to include my family in this venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment