22 November 2005

Parenting Book

For the next 30 days, I'm asking the Lord to be my "parenting book" to guide me in all my thoughts, words, actions and reactions with regard to Madeline. I have poured over so many parenting books with advice on how to parent this way or that, and I believe that I've picked up some helpful tips and techniques. But what would happen if I just opened myself to receive direct wisdom, understanding, answers and guidance each day without consulting any other resource? Of course this might seem obvious, especially to other Christian parents. But do we truly rely solely on the Lord for wisdom in raising our children? Being in the midst of everyday situations can easily distract me and drive me to look in all my books for answers. I can only take this new venture day by day, but I'm expecting amazing results.

1 comment:

  1. Christian, Maddie is beautiful! I have really enjoyed coming here to see how you are all doing. I admire your choice to use God as your 'book' for a month. You are a very loving mother who loves her God; there is no doubt in my mind that this will be a wonerful month for you two. I agree that it is hard not to get caught up in all the opinions and experts that are referred to us; regardless of the books we read. I found myself in the same situation when Azlan came along and the Lord really used the time to grow and challenge me. He showed me that He is a God of grace and compassion; towards me and my children. He also taught me that HE is the best example of parenting that i would ever find - as he is my Father. I would only thrive a nurturing parent if i walk in His footsteps, teach as He teaches, loves as he loves, forgives, etc.... The biggest challenge is figuring out who you see God as. Whether one sees Him as a dictator or dictated, if he walks in those footsteps, that is what He will enevitably become. (Just like we tend to become our opinions of OUR parents..) So - this month, I encourage you to really seek God and allow Him to show you how you view Him.... Its a rough journey ( i am constantly traveling it ) but worth it to ourselves, and every relationship we encounter. You are wonderful person. I love you.
    Love,
    Brandy

    ReplyDelete