16 November 2005

Sickness Brings Compassion

Madeline has been sick for 2 1/2 weeks now...absolutely unbelievable. And her symptoms have continued to change over those two weeks. She's finally starting to feel better, but still isn't completely herself yet. The other night I realized how much she has been through - coughing until she vomits, inability to breathe through her nose, exhaustion, fever, sleeplessness, stomach aches, unending sneezing and nose drips (and nose wipes, for that matter) - that is a LOT for a 2 year old to have to endure, especially not having the words to describe all of her symptoms and pain. I was mulling this over and felt an overwhelming sense of compassion toward her and instead of feeling frustrated because we were about to embark upon yet another sleepless night, I wanted to serve her the best way I could. I wanted her to know how much I love her and desire to care for her needs. I didn't want her to feel bad that mommy is so tired and grouchy because of her illness. It really changed my perspective in how I addressed her ongoing symptoms and in turn, it changed her response toward me. Of course I have felt sorry for her prolonged illness, but there were days that I focused too much on how exhausted I was. I was reminded of what a wonderful little girl I have and how I desire for her to know that I love her and want to be there for her even though I'm absolutely worn out. I hope that is the message she has been getting in the last few days. In fact, I'm positive this is the message she's been getting because I have been the recipient of more lovies and kisses from her than I can remember since this illness struck her down.

1 comment:

  1. What a MOM!!! I'm now looking forward to being old and sick. Like 35 years from now.

    ReplyDelete