11 October 2008

homeschooling

Well, I think we're going to completely join the homeschool community. After going to the CHEA conference last summer, I felt excited and deeply challenged to move forward. But I know myself well enough that I won't be able to do homeschooling without other moms/kids, just for the sake of sanity. I know that every family is different, and I've been struggling with what to do. For the first time ever (of course!), Madeline is really enjoying her time at preschool. But I've been trying to balance homeschooling and preschool which is way too hard. I feel like we've been flying by the seat of our pants and then when it's time to breathe again, we have homeschool work looming in the background, waiting to eat all our energy and time up! Well...I talked to a couple of friends this week who are very ready to begin a homeschool co-op together. My friends Lindsay and Carrie are both credentialed teachers and both have a passion toward teaching children at home. While this is still a work in progress, we're very excited. I'll be calling Madeline's preschool director on Monday to explain that we have appreciated all they've given to us, but that we're going to try something different this year. Madeline is at a great age to start this, since she's in between pre-K and Kindergarten. I just pray that I will be organized enough to begin this journey well so that she will realize all she can receive by doing homeschool. I'm nervous, excited, overwhelmed, scared and much more - I hate taking risks. But this could potentially be a wonderful gift for our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment