28 October 2008

insightful beyond words

We went to the library the other day. Evan was strapped to my back, Grant was holding one hand and Madeline was holding my other hand. It was about 95 degrees outside, and I had my three little ones walking slowly, after I realized that I was so lucky to get a parking spot in front of the library because the front entrance was closed and everyone was being rerouted to the back entrance, the back entrance that was about a 7 minute walk in the horrible heat with my three kids. We finally made it to the library, picked up our goodies and then headed back outside for another walk in the heat. Later that day, Madeline asked me, Mommy, why did that lady smile at you? Taken back, I said, I don't know. I hadn't realized that anyone had smiled at me. Maddie said, I know why she smiled at you...because you have your hands full.

I can't tell how many times I've been stopped on the street or at the park or in a store where people look at me, smile, even laugh out loud and say, Boy, you've got your hands full! Granted, they're in shock that I would actually leave my house with three children in tow. But many people do it all the time. And I'm always looking for a creative response because I don't want my children to hear that sarcasm in their voices and wonder what is wrong with their mommy having their hands full.

While I knew that Madeline was just being her sweet little insightful self, I hope she knows that having my hands full of all three of my children is exactly where I want to be every day, even when I'm absolutely exhausted.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a great mama! I love how you are just so sensitive and tunned into your children's perspective on life as a mommy, they are blessed to call you mom!

    ReplyDelete